This course begins with an introduction to 5G new radio. It then covers NR protocol, SYNC signals, RACH, reference signals, control channels, data channels, mobility and beam management, and concludes with a discussion of bandwidth part.
- LTE Overview
- LTE Advanced Technical Overview
- Discuss the motivations for 5G NR and the technologies that enable the NR air interface, define 5G NR waveforms and scalable numerologies, review the 5G NR bandwidth, discuss the slot-based frame structure of 5G NR, explain Bandwidth Part (BWP) in 5G NR, and identify the role of beam sweeping in the 5G NR air interface.
- Introduce the protocol layer in NR, compare protocol layer characteristics and enhancements with LTE, review functions and modes for each sublayer.
- Describe the purpose and the details of synchronization signals, compare the synchronization signals of LTE and 5G NR, explain how system information is delivered in stand-alone (SA) and non-standalone (NSA) operation modes.
- Discuss RACH procedures and introduce elements new to NR, describe PRACH configuration and preamble types supported in NR, and outline details for MSG-1 through MSG-4.
- Describe the motivation for reference signals, compare RS in LTE and 5G, outline the details of CSI-RS configuration and resources, describe Demodulation Reference Signals (DMRS) resources for data transmission, explain the motivations and configuration of Phase Tracking Reference Signals (PTRS), describe Tracking Reference Signals (TRS).
- Compare LTE Control Channels with 5G NR, explain CORESET for PDCCH, describe the Downlink Control Information (DCI) formats in 5GNR, outline short and long PUCCH formats.
- List key differences between 4G LTE and 5G NR data channels, discuss UL/DL transmission schemes including grant free UL data transmission, identify the importance of CSI reporting and feedback, describe UL/DL scheduling including resource allocation, outline the Hybrid Automatic Repeat Request (HARQ) design and process, discuss UL Power Control, outline paging procedures for NSA and SA modes.
- Differentiate Cell-Level and Beam-Level mobility procedures, explain the impact of beams in cell-level mobility, discuss Beam Management procedures for: Initial Beam Selection, Beam Switching, and Beam Failure Detection and Recovery, introduce transmission configuration indicator (TCI) states and how they are used during beam switching.
- List key motivations for a BWP, explain how BWP is configured, identify the impacts of multiple SSBs in different BWP.