This course introduces 5G NR, then discusses the details of network architecture, mmWave, beamforming and massive MIMO, physical layer, NR upper layers, mobility, and voice, and ends with a look at deployment considerations.
Basic LTE and LTE Advanced Technical Knowledge
• Discuss 5G vision, motivation, spectrum, and use cases.
• Explain the 3GPP technical standards and timeline for 5G NR.
• Introduce the key 5G NR technology enablers.
• Describe the key design principles of the 5G Core network.
• Compare the 5G Core with the EPC from LTE.
• Explain the RAN Evolution as well as RAN split options – both upper layer and lower layer.
• Discuss NSA and SA Deployment Options.
• Describe the motivation behind mmWave in 5G NR.
• Explain mmWave RF characteristics.
• Discuss mmWave antenna choice.
• Discuss the motivation behind beamforming for 5G NR.
• Describe beamforming techniques.
• Discuss benefits and challenges of M-MIMO.
• Describe Massive MIMO in 5G NR.
• Discuss 5G NR reference signals and channels.
• Explain cell acquisition and the role of synchronization signal blocks for initial access.
• Describe contention based and contention free 5G NR RACH procedures.
• Discuss DL data channel operation.
• Explain UL channels.
• Describe upper layers of the 5G NR Protocol stack.
• Review the RLC and MAC functions.
• List key PDCP functions.
• Discuss the new Layer 2 protocol for QoS in 5GC.
• Explain 5GNR idle mode mobility in NSA and SA modes.
• Describe connected mode mobility in both NSA and SA modes and the measurement event triggers related to mobility.
• Discuss Intra-NR and Inter-RAT mobility.
• Describe lower layer beam mobility and related procedures.
• Discuss voice options for NSA Mode UEs.
• Describe SA mode voice options in SA Mode.
• Outline NSA mobility scenarios during simultaneous voice and data services.
• Discuss 5G deployment options and transition paths.
• Review 5G coverage improvement techniques.
• Describe TDD considerations for deployment.
• Provide an outlook on upcoming 3GPP releases.
• List relevant 5G NR features and enhancements.
Your purchase gives 1-year access to this online eLearning
- 6:00 hours