The course begins with a review of LTE Advanced Releases prior to 13 and then presents a high-level introduction of Release 13 features. Enhancements discussed in detail include Licensed Assisted Access (LAA), Unlicensed Access: LTE and Wi-Fi Aggregation (LWA), LTE WLAN integration with Internet Protocol security (IPSec) tunnel (LWIP), and RAN Controlled LTE WLAN Interworking (RCLWI), Internet of Things (IoT): Narrow Band IoT (NB-IoT), enhanced Machine Type Communication (eMTC), extended Discontinuous Reception (eDRX), and cellular IoT, enhanced Device-to-Device (eD2D), Broadband Access: enhanced Carrier Aggregation (eCA), enhanced Dual Connectivity (eDC), Elevation Beam Forming (EBF), Full Dimension – Multiple Input Multiple Output (FD-MIMO), System Enhancements: Multi-Carrier Load Distribution (MCLD), Single Cell Point-to-Multi-Point (SC-PTM), and Further enhanced Minimized Drive Test (FeMDT), and finally, Radio Access network (RAN) 2, 3, 4 enhancements. The course concludes by discussing the outlook to Release 14.
LTE Advanced Release 10 Technical Overview
LTE Advanced Release 11 Technical Overview
LTE Advanced Release 12 Technical Overview
• Recall the air interface and system enhancements in LTE Releases 10-12.
• List and describe the key features and services introduced in Release 13, including those for enhanced utilization of unlicensed bands and those for enhanced support of IoT and MTC.
• Describe LAA and its operation modes and list the advantages. Describe the new 3GPP band for Rel 13 LAA SCell operation, explain LAA frame structure Type 3, describe R13 Discovery Reference Signals (DRS), and outline the LAA “Listen Before Talk” (LBT) procedure.
• Summarize the basic concepts and diagram the architecture of LWA. Illustrate LWA call establishment and packet flow, describe the impacts on the WLAN side, and define the mobility scenarios and availability of QoS. Define LWIP and state the advantages and challenges and define RCLWI.
• List the IoT use cases, existing solutions and deployment options. Overview the NB-IoT solution, eMTC and eDRX.
• Explain Cellular IoT (CIoT) upper layer data transfer, discuss simultaneous support of Control Plane (CP) and User Plane (UP), and list the key tasks of the different protocol layers.
• List the Rel 13 D2D enhancements, explain the new features introduced for D2D discovery, and describe the enhancements for D2D communication.
• Explain the motivation for Rel 13 eCA enhancements, summarize the Physical Uplink Control Channel (PUCCH), Channel State Information (CSI), and Hybrid Automatic Repeat reQuest (HARQ) changes, discuss the upper layer, and list the new User Equipment (UE) categories.
• Recall the Rel 12 Dual Connectivity (DC) concept and summarize Rel 13 eDC, including uplink split bearer approach, timing difference reporting, and Radio Resource Management (RRM) requirements, etc.
• Recall the evolution of LTE Downlink (DL) MIMO, explain EBF, and describe FD-MIMO, including features, CSI enhancements, DL DeModulation Reference Signal (DMRS) enhancements, and UL Sounding Reference Signal (SRS) enhancements.
• Discuss the motivation for MCLD and explain idle mode operation, the extension of frequency priorities and Reference Signal - Signal-to-Interference-plus-Noise Ratio (RS-SINR) measurements.
• Discuss the motivation for SC-PTM, describe the architecture, explain the configuration, summarize information acquisition, and summarize establishment and release.
• Review the evolution of MDT to FeMDT, explain packet delay and packet loss measurements, and discuss Radio Link Failure (RLF) and In-Device Coexistence (IDC) impact handling.
• Overview RAN 2, 3, and 4 enhancements.
• List the features and enhancements expected in Release 14.
Your purchase gives 1-year access to this online eLearning
- 06:00 hours